Sacramento, California (NAPSI) - Parents looking for a sweet choice for school lunches should consider pears.
Grown inOregonandWashington,USAPears are an excellent source of fiber and a good source of vitamin C. They also make a smart snack.
To ripen fresh pears, leave them at room temperature. When a pear gives to gentle pressure near the stem, it’s ripe, juicy and ready to enjoy.
For a quick midday or after-school treat, try these fresh ideas:
• Slide pear slices into a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or quesadilla
• Roll up pear slices, turkey, cheese and lettuce in a whole wheat tortilla
• Stir chopped pears into yogurt and top with granola
• Sprinkle diced fresh pears into a green or fruit salad
• Try this mixed fruit salsa with graham cracker “dippers”:
Student’s Pear Salsa
Combine 1 of each: finely chopped, coredUSAPear, apple, orange and 2 finely chopped kiwi fruit in medium bowl. Gently toss fruit with 2 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Scoop up bites of salsa using cinnamon graham crackers. Or pack a serving of salsa in an airtight container and place graham crackers in a separate baggie for a delicious lunch addition. Makes 4 servings.
For more brown-bag ideas and recipes, visit www.usapears.org.