Washington, DC (NAPSI) - While turning 18 is often time for a celebration, for a young man living in the United States, it also brings certain responsibilities.

For example, when a young man turns 18, he is required by law to register with the Selective Service System. It’s important to note that this applies to all maleU.S.citizens and male legal and undocumented immigrants living in theU.S.who are 18 through 25.

In general, if a male noncitizen is residing in the U.S.before his 26th birthday, he must register with the Selective Service.

Very Few Exceptions

The few noncitizens who are in theU.S.and do not have to register include those here on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families.

This requirement applies to dual nationals—citizens of both the U.S. and another country—as well because they are still U.S. nationals.

It is important to note that the Selective Service does not collect any information that would indicate whether or not a person is here legally and a Social Security number is not needed to register.

Possible Penalties

The penalties for failing to register can be serious and far reaching.

A man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years.

Even if not convicted in court, a man who fails to register with Selective Service before turning age 26 may find that some doors are closed to him forever.

For instance:

• Those who should register and don’t are excluded from federal student loan or grant programs, including Pell Grants, College Work-Study, Guaranteed Student/PLUS Loans and National Direct Student Loans.

• Those who want to become citizens are required to register with the Selective Service if they first arrived in the U.S.before their 26th birthday.

• The Workforce Investment Act, which is the federal job training act, is only open to those men who register with Selective Service.

• A man must be registered to be eligible for jobs in the executive branch of the federal government and the U.S. Postal Service.

• Some states require proof of registration to get a driver’s license.

Registration is easy. Go to any U.S.post office and pick up a Selective Service registration card or register online at www.sss.gov.

For additional questions, call (888) 655-1825 toll free.