Colorado Springs, Colorado (NAPSI) - Over the course of a school year, students collect more than information—they also collect a lot of stuff. Fortunately, getting all that stuff home at the end of the semester doesn’t have to be difficult. To help, here are a few tips from the pros that know at Penske Truck Rental:
• Planning Your Move Starts With Selecting The Right-Size Truck. The majority of students find that a 12- or 16-foot truck is adequate when moving out of a college residence or off-campus apartment.
• Advance Registrations Are Key. Try to reserve the kind of truck you will need, along with any moving accessories, at least two weeks in advance.
• Safety Is Key. Investing some time and effort to get to know your rental truck will pay off, especially for long moves. Remember, a truck is likely to be taller, wider and heavier than standard consumer vehicles. That means you may have to drive more slowly and take extra precautions.
Also, park in well-lit areas and padlock the rear door. Just in case, remember that Penske offers 24/7 emergency roadside assistance and optional protection plans.
• Accessories Can Make The Moving Experience Easier—And More Orderly. Accessories, such as boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, moving blankets and hand trucks, are essential moving tools and can make the process a lot easier.
• Some Things Don’t Belong On The Truck. Important paperwork, credit cards, identification, a change of clothes, drinks and snacks should be kept close at hand in a travel bag.
• Making The Move Home Work For Everyone. College counselors advise students and their parents do four things once the truck is unpacked:
1. Both parents and students need to be realistic about house rules and responsibilities.
2. Compromise is everyone’s friend. For example, curfew may no longer be appropriate, but parents may expect to be notified of late nights out.
3. Having a sense of humor can help; ordering a pizza at 2:00 a.m. is “normal” at college but might seem strange at home.
4. Take a deep breath and remember the arrangement is just temporary.
For more useful moving tips, visit www.PenskeTruckRental.com.