Colorado Springs, Colorado (NAPSI) - This year, enjoy the bounty of the holiday season without feeling sorry about consuming too many calories.
How? Include USA Pears in your meals to add natural sweetness to many dishes in one nutrient-dense package. December is National Pear Month, and you can celebrate by pairing this seasonal fruit with other produce in both savory and sweet dishes. For example:
• Roast diced pears and diced winter squash for a simple side dish.
• Polish off your holiday meal with poached, baked or sautéed pears spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg.
• Sweeten up your cranberry sauce with puréed pears.
• Serve a large green salad on a platter and top with pear slices, candied nuts and cheese crumbles.
• Place pear chutney next to your leftovers to spice up turkey sandwiches and add flavor to extra pork chops.
• Impress guests at your next gathering with this festive appetizer. The great flavor of red pears combined with toasted hazelnuts and Gorgonzola is hard to beat and using ready-made tartlet shells cuts the prep time down, so you’ll have more time to enjoy your guests.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 10
30 frozen mini phyllo shells
½ cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 RedAnjouUSAPear, cored and diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place mini phyllo shells on baking sheet. In medium-size mixing bowl, combine hazelnuts, cheese and pears. Fill shells with pear mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is hot and starting to bubble. Serve warm.
For more seasonal recipe ideas, visit www.usapears.org. Follow USA Pears on Facebook and Twitter for helpful tips, serving suggestions and the latest recipes.