Yuma, Arizona (NAPSI) - Americans, it seems, are really hot for ice cream. People in the United States indulge more than those in any other nation, averaging 48 pints of ice cream per person, per year. Ninety-eight percent of allU.S. households purchase ice cream, with more sold on Sunday than any other day of the week. Here are a few more Cool Facts:
• The first ice cream parlor inAmericaopened inNew York Cityin 1776.
• George Washington loved ice cream and had two ice cream machines at his home.
• It takes 12 gallons of milk to make one gallon of ice cream.
• The most popular flavors are Vanilla, Chocolate, Butter Pecan, Strawberry and Neapolitan, followed closely by Chocolate Chip, French Vanilla and Cookies & Cream.
• Cherry is the No. 1 Popsicle flavor.
• Twin Popsicles were invented during the Depression so that two children could share one treat.
Now you can find special deals on ice cream and novelties at the grocery store as the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA) celebrates this love for cool treats with an annual June/July Summer Favorites Ice Cream & Novelties promotion.
Those experts on cool foods remind you to make the ice cream aisle your last stop, keep frozen purchases together in a separate section of the cart, and pack ice cream in an additional brown paper bag for the ride home.
Once you get home, you may care to try this tasty, favorite ice cream dessert:
Ice Cream with Hot Fudge Sauce
½ gallon vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
2 (1-ounce) squares semi-sweet chocolate
1 Tbsp. butter
⅔ cup sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup evaporated milk
Maraschino cherries (for garnish)
For sauce, heat, melt and stir chocolate, butter, sugar, vanilla and salt together. Gradually add the evaporated milk, continuously stirring. Bring to a light boil over medium heat and cook until sauce is smooth and thickened (about 10 minutes). To serve, place large scoops of ice cream in each dish and top with Hot Fudge Sauce and cherries. Serves 6.